A part of a draft from an article by Risto Lampinen, M.Sc. (Agr. & For.)
In the 15th and 16th centuries and during the first half of the 17th century, the Hahkiala village was feoffed to several different persons, most of whom have come from well-known families in the Finnish history. The three, and later six farms of the Hahkiala village have accounted for a minor part of these feoffs. The feoffees have not resided in the village.
The first recorded mentions of Hahkiala date back to the 15th century. The names of the farm owners can still be found, at least to a large extent, in the records of the National Archives (Riksarkivet) in Stockholm.
The most extensive and probably rather reliable account of Hahkiala has been written by the then Chancellor of Justice Axel Charpentier. It was published in 1922 in the publication series entitled Herrgårdar i Finland („Manors in Finland“).
During the latter part of the 15th century and throughout the 16th century, the Hahkiala farms were feoffed to the Tawast family. During the power struggle and the final stages of the Cudgel War a total of around fifty Finnish noblemen were then put to death and the feoff was returned to the Crown.
Arvid Henrikinpoika’s widow, Margareta Maununtytär from Kurjala, was allowed to keep her inherited portion of the feoff. In 1602, the Hahkiala village was given to commissioner Adam Skreffare, later on the Raasepori district court judge. King Gustav II Adolf returned Hahkiala to Margareta Maununtytär in 1614, who died shortly afterwards and the landed property was again taken back by the Crown.
In 1618, the justice at the Turku court of appeal, cavalry captain Olof Dufva was given a freehold estate which included three farms in the village of Hahkiala. When he died in 1632, the shares of the farms were transferred to his widow Kristina Wildeman, who held them until 1638. She died in 1651. That same year, Hahkiala was given as a land grand to Toussaint Charpentier, who came from Normandy and had served the Swedish army with distinction in the Thirty Years‘ War.
The Hahkiala of the Charpentier Family
When Toussaint Charpentier came to Hahkiala, the farms were cultivated by peasants or they were untenanted. Instable times and carelessness caused the ownership of Hahkiala by the Charpentier family to be established as late as the end of the 17th century. It was finally ratified in 1765 by appointment of entailed estate.
Between 1730 and 1782, the Hahkiala estate was owned by Charles Robert Charpentier. He expanded the Hahkiala estate area considerably through purchases of neighbouring estates.
During his ownership, the Hahkiala estate was at its largest. Claes Robert Charpentier also had a new manor built together with several other buildings. The manor and other outbuildings constructed for Toussaint Charpentier had been destroyed in a fire in 1694, which had left the buildings of the estate insufficient.
Claes Robert Charpentier also effected Hahkiala to be made an entailed estate in 1765. But he never married, which meant that he had no direct heirs. Owing to his distinguished military service, however, King Gustav III allowed the estate to be bequethed to Claes Robert Charpentier’s nephew, Carl Fredrik L'Eclair and raised him to nobility, and also gave him the right to use the name Charpentier.
Carl Fredrik Charpentier married Margareta Blomcreutz and they had 20 children, 16 of whom outlived their parents.
In 1882, the Hahkiala manor house was taken over by Gustaf Robert Alfred Charpentier, who became a senator later on. He was obviously a very advanced farmer, who carried out a thorough modernisation of cultivation of the farm. New construction of the estate included a cowhouse, barn, dairy, granary and greenhouses, brick works and sawmill. Houses were built for workers, a school for tenant farmers’ children and an ole people’s home.
Senator Charpentier’s son, Axel Fredrik Charpentier inherited the estate after his father died in 1914. He was the first Chancellor of Justice current manor built during 1915-1917.
The manor was designed by architect Karl Lindahl. The building represents modified Swedish baroque style.
Chancellor of Justice died in 1949. The entailed estate act had been abrogated in 1930. As a result, the estate was divided among the heirs in 1950 for the first time in its history. Doctor Claes Axel Gustav Charpentier started to cultivate the Kelkkanen farm, which was later on renamed Itä-Hahkiala. The Länsi-Hahkiala farm was cultivated by his sister’s, Malin Helm’s husband, Gunnar Hernberg, who later became honorary mining counsellor and president of Suomen Sokeri Oy. On his initiative, the farms of Länsi-Hahkiala, Kukkaishovi and a few land properties of the heirs were sold to Kaupan Maataloussäätiö foundation in 1963.